Arango::Tango Perl 5 Module

(cross posted from blogs.perl.org)

I am planning on a new project, and a friend suggested me to look to Arango, as an alternative do Mongo, specially because it includes a graphs query language integrated. As I am not really used to Mongo at all, decided to give it a try.

Unfortunately I did not find a proper module to use Arango from Perl. Therefore I decided to start one from scratch. Probably not a great idea as my free time is likely non-existent. But nevertheless, I did it. Arango::DB was born!

I am trying to abstract major entities (database, collection, document, cursor) in order to use them directly as proper objects in Perl, and at the same time, try to keep a low code profile, delegating most options directly to Arango REST interface. In order not to be too relaxed, I am using JSON::Schema::Fit to validate the parameters sent to Arango API.

The main problem is that there are too many options and endpoints to use, and too few time to do it. Anyway, there is a working version, that already allows the storage of documents, and querying them using AQL. Unfortunately all the user-related functionalities are not yet implemented.

While I would love to keep maintaining and defining the direction of the module, I am very grateful to any patches, bug fixes of added functionalities, keeping the same simple approach in mind.

Regarding using a module for objects, I might decide to use Moo, but for now, I am still happy using Perl blessed hashes directly.

Hope to post more news very soon.

GIT repository: https://gitlab.com/ambs/perl5-arango-tango/
Latest release: https://metacpan.org/pod/Arango::Tango

PR-Challenge: January 1st PR

Cross Posted from my Perl Blogs blog.

So, yeah, to make me more active in the Perl community I decided to join the Pull Request Challenge. I have a quite big number of modules to maintain, but sometimes it is good to look to some other people code to learn something.

My attribution for January was Data::ObjectDriver. I am not sure, yet, what this module is about, but I learned some stuff already, dealing with Module::Install. That was enough for a simple Pull Request [see here]. Hopefully it will be useful for other people as well. Also, hope it gets accepted.

Although this is enough for the Challenge, I expect, in the next days, to prepare at least one more Pull Request. So, stay tuned.

EDIT: The second pull request [here] did not take that much time. Fixed a test that was failing given new error message on DBD::SQLite.

Quiki 0.01 released

quikiQuiki 0.01 was released last night. It can’t be considered a stable release. While it is usable (in fact Quiki homepage is hosted in Quiki) we know that a lot of details are missing to make it a real wiki system. The truth is that the Request Tracker queue created automatically for CPAN modules is only created for indexed modules, and beta versions (the versions we released before) are not indexed (or indexed in some different index) and therefore a RT queue is not created automatically. In fact at the moment the Quiki RT queue was not created yet, but we expect that to be done very soon.

I will not detail here what is the current development state as you can read it in the Quiki homepage. Positive comments, ideas of new features and requests for cooperation can be added here in comment while we do not have that RT queue.